The property investment strategy to Buy Refurbish Refinance Rent (BRRR strategy) is probably the number 1 property strategy undertaken by property investors and taught by the property training community and if you were to search for it on the web you would find dozens of videos and posts to explain with real cases and examples.
Some people refer to it just as the Buy Refurbish Rent (BRR) strategy and I have also seen the “BRRRR” strategy Buy Refurbish Refinance Rent Repeat. Basically, all three terms and abbreviations relate to the same strategy.
The basic principle and aim of the buy refurbish refinance rent strategy is to recycle your initial deposit so that you can keep adding properties to your portfolio and your deposit is not tied up in your first deal.
The key points are
- BUY – A run down / unmodernised property is purchased, preferably at below market value (BMV) using bridging finance.
- REFURBISH – Value is added to the property by modernising the property, obtaining and implementing planning or permitted development rights. The works can be a light property finance refurbishment which is a quick 2-3 project or a larger project that involves extensions and conversions. The key requirement is to add value
- REFINANCE – The short-term bridging loan is refinanced onto a long-term buy to let mortgage at a lower interest rate for typically 25 years. The buy to let mortgage is at the increased value after works and at a typical 75% loan to value mortgage there are enough funds to repay the bridging loan, the interest, the acquisition costs, and the works to the property and produce a deposit for the next project.
- RENT – The property is rented out to produce cash flow to the buy to let mortgage and a profit for the investor
- REPEAT – The deposit raised by the refinancing is used to do it all over again in order to grow the property portfolio and generate a larger monthly cash flow.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question – How much money do you need for a buy refurbish refinance deal?
For the initial purchase, you will need typically a 25% deposit for the bridging loan which can come from our own cash sources or a private investor. The lender will require this deposit to minimize their risk. Alternatively, we have arranged deals with 100% finance where the client was able to offer additional security over another property and there was enough equity in the property to give the lender comfort to go to 100% of the purchase price. This area can get complicated so it is best to discuss on a case by case basis
Question – Is it realistic to believe that the investor can pull out all of their money from the deal and keep repeating the process?
If you believe the property investor trainers you can pull out or recycle all of your money and repeat, repeat, repeat forever. They would say this as they are selling your course that can cost thousands of pounds and they want to make it sound as easy as it can be.
We have seen actual cases we have refinanced where the client has managed to recycle all of their deposit for the next deal but it is not easy and like any career involves hard work and dedication.
Question – Any tips you give us from the previous buy refurbish refinance rent deals that have worked very well for the client?
Buy it right – It is extremely hard to add value to a property if the initial purchase price was high. There is a great quote from Alan Sugar “The profit is in the purchasing”. In a hot property market is difficult to buy below market value but for unmodernised run-down properties the market for a cash 4-week purchase (using bridging finance) the opportunity to obtain a bargain is more likely
Add value – This is the key. the works undertaken must be of high quality and to such a level that the finished property’s value has increased to allow the funds you have invested to be recycled.
Deliver on time and to budget – If the project takes more time the bridging loan costs increase and any cost overruns dilute the increased value you are seeking to achieve. We have financed properties where we didn’t recognise the finished property from the property financed at the start. The WOW factor had been achieved and more space had been added, project delivered on time and to budget and the result was a large increase in value for the client.
Key Information and Benefits
- Speak to a consultant today for a free personal consultation and they will handle your case from enquiry to completion
- Flexible and creative financing solutions to meet your needs from our panel of 100+ lenders
- Loans / mortgages from £50,000 to £20 million
- Market leading interest rates. The actual interest rate will depend on the risk, quality of the credit profile and the purpose of the loan/mortgage
- Lowest overall cost of financing will be considered for your individual case
- All incomes levels, evidence of income, credit histories and funding requirements will be considered
- High loan to values available 100%+ funding can be achieved with additional security or by introducing more than one lender to a case
- Financing terms can be short term (a few months) or long term (many years) to suit your needs.